torstai 6. helmikuuta 2014

Missed it!!

I´m so sorry I missed our get-together yesterday. I was really looking forward to hearing Birgitta tell about the Samí people. And telling what I learnt about the Aborigine. I´ve seen pictures of their art and they´re beautiful! I love their dot paintings and was interested in learning more about those.

But then I read the novel "Dr. Wooreddy´s Prescription for Enduring the Ending of the World" by Colin Johnson, a.k.a Mudrooroo, and that`s why the history of the Aboriginal people, especially Tasmanian, got the biggest share of my attention.

It was tough reading. Words like massacre, annihilation, rape, diseases were in the centre. The history of Australia is violent. Most of the early settlers were men, soldiers and sailors and convicts who England used to ship off  to Australia. Later there were weird laws which enabled the government to take Aboriginal children from their parents to be raised in white families or orphanages. I´m glad those days are gone.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti